Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I've Kept It In Check For Weeks...and Can't Anymore....

See?  Another 'teaser' title for this posting and you're all wondering what I'm talking about.  Here it is, folks...it's time for another....a season of....SEC Football!!  At this point, I'm actually watching (or hearing) some ladies clicking the little "X" in the upper corner.  Actually, I'm hoping not that many.  I've seen quite a few ladies, especially when discussing NCAA rather than pro, that are HUGE football fans.  Some have even argued their case quite eloquently when discussing their favorite teams.  By "eloquently," I obviously mean they want to throw down after telling you "colorfully" how they really feel.  You have to admire it, too.  "You go, Girl," is my attitude...only because I don't want to get slapped around.  So here it is - only 10 days until we get ramped up again watching our beloved college programs and players take the gridiron.  For a few short months, we'll get to anticipate those Saturday afternoons when we dress in team colors and cheer on our favorite teams and players.  We'll get so wrapped up in the Polls that we'll barely notice the color of the leaves changing as summer fades to fall then winter.  We'll notice, and long for at times, that first Saturday we have to wear a sweatshirt rather than t-shirt.  That will last about a week, maybe two.  That's when I, personally, will start complaining about the weather and how cold it is.  Fortunately, it takes a little longer to get cold here in the south.  Yeah, I know...that was the 'kiss of death'.  It'll turn colder, and stay that way longer, now that I've thumbed my nose at the weather Gods.  No worries - we'll be fine and decide not to complain as long as the Crimson Tide continues to win.  It's how it works down here.  They win, we don't complain.  About anything, mind you.  Nothing.  Just win.



I really hadn't decided what to post about tonight until I checked the "Saturday Down South," website.  It's filled with everything SEC and, if nothing else, provides some good reading about the strongest conference in college football. Check it out (if you choose, of course) at www.saturdaydownsouth.com.  I seem to gravitate to the site because, well, they're saying good things about Alabama.  One of the top stories?  The Heisman pre-season predictions.  Not important to all, mind you, but they are talking about the the top 5 contenders from the SEC.  As a matter of fact, they predict that, if the trophy does go to a player in the SEC, it will be one of these 5...so remember I'm saying it here and now.  That is unless they're wrong.  Then you never heard it from me, I'll delete this post, and you can forget I said anything.  Here are the five I will reference when the winner is crowned - 1) Marcus Lattimore, RB - South Carolina, 2) Trent Richardson, RB - Alabama, 3) Alshon Jeffery, WR - South Carolina, 4) Mark Barron, FS - Alabama, and 5) Russell Shepard, WR - LSU.  There they are - two from SC, two from AL, and one single thug from LSU.  Yeah, I know...that wasn't quite fair....or was it?  Before I go there, look at one thing - there's a Free Safety in this mix.  Mark Barron could actually win the Heisman, a trophy typically reserved for quarterbacks and running backs.  Barron, if he's recovered completely from the injuries sustained in last year's Auburn game, could actually pull this off...and that would be huge.  Now, about that 'thug' comment.....

LSU, in my opinion, has become the 'Miami of the 2010 decade'.  Many of us remember when Miami was saddled with the image, and rightfully so, of being brawlers and thugs.  They were winning and they were playing, well, a little 'differently' than other teams.  They were common street thugs, period.  Yes, it is a personal opinion...shared by many.  LSU now has a starting QB, Jordan Jefferson, that was one of several involved in a bar fight.  Here's what we do know - they broke their 10:30 p.m. curfew and were at a bar.  No big deal, except it was 2:00 a.m....and several people went to the hospital.  The only other thing we know as fact is that Jefferson should have shown better leadership skills.  he should have kept the team away from trouble...and unwanted publicity.  Big mistake.  Huge.  As a matter of fact, it might cost him the starting position in the first week.  You know, the week that #4 LSU plays #3 Oregon, last year's runner-up for the BCS Title.  Interesting game with bowl implications.  My only questions - Jefferson, what were you thinking?  Oh, you weren't?  I get it.  On behalf of the Tide, let me say a hearty, "Thank you!"



So there it is.  I, along with more than a few others, are geared up for another thrilling season.  We're ready.  We've waited a long time (almost a whole year!) for this time to be here again.  The best part is having tickets (thank you, Pam) for the Week 2 game in Happy Valley.  Penn State and Alabama, JoePa & Nick.  We cannot wait for that game.  More importantly, we cannot wait to be tailgating, hanging out with old friends from PA, wearing our colors as they wear their's, a rivalry reborn with respect and friendship.  How can I say 'rivalry' and 'friendship' in the same description?  Easy - look at what they're doing in State College, PA.  Raising money for tornado victims, still.  This is why it's a friendly rivalry born of respect.  They have character and class...and we cannot wait to get there.

Until next time...........

No comments:

Post a Comment