Friday, June 17, 2011

A Heartwarming Tale

Good evening All!  My apologies for few words on the page recently.  Sadly, or not I suppose, I've been playing Road Warrior again.  I  am still in the car at present (don't you love technology?) though not behind the wheel. There's a 16-year old doing that and I'm holding on.  A lot.  I'm trying to remember how it was when we started driving and I'm having difficulty.  I'm old.  A lot.  That, however, is not the reason I chose to write tonight.  No, tonight is all about the fine folks running Montgomery County, MD.  I'm sure most of you have heard this wonderful heartwarming story. There were a couple of kids that, knowing the US Open was in town, decided to open an old-fashioned lemonade stand. Enterprising, right? Kind of, I suppose. You see, the kids were selling lemonade for $2.00/glass. Are you kidding me? At those prices, they probably wanted to franchise...in about six hours, it appears! Quite honestly, though, these were kids that any parent would be proud of. You see, they were donating all proceeds - ALL proceeds - to the pediatric cancer foundation. Helping fight cancer for kids. Really? This is a story that needs told, right? Let me move forward a bit to where the county officials get involved. As expected, the county has an issue with kids selling this lemonade because...are you ready?...they have NO vendor's permit. While peopl are charging $50 or more to allow people to park in their yards, the kids have no permit. It seems you don't need one for the parking gig. When the parents refused to make the kids stop selling lemonade, the county, in all their brilliance, fined them. $500.00. Yes...seriously. Can't make this stuff up, Gang.

Can we please, anyone, start using some common sense? What is the rationale? In plain words...what the hell are they thinking? Pediatric cancer, folks...and there are kIDS doing the work and taking the initiative! Ever wonder why, in this day and age, we can't get others to take te first step toward doing something nice? I think I have a perfect illustration. We have got to start doing what is right...and change the law and make exceptions for these things. If other vendors wanted to bitch, so be it. We can deal with it after the kids help fight cancer. We can drag them out into the public and tell them that they, too, do not need a permit if they give verything to charity. You mean the county offal couldn't think of that? Who have you people hired? Please America, let's not stifle these kinds of incredible children. We need more of them...and fewer adults that are clueless.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment