Sunday, April 24, 2011

This Is How Action Starts...and We Make A Difference

I never post twice in a day....typically.  This, however, was too good to let go.  I am doing this for my daughter because THIS is how movements start and action begins.  Brittany and a friend had an idea.  We talked, at length, about how the two girls I wrote of last week committed suicide.  She could not imagine, as most of us couldn't either.  She decided to take action.  This is what she posted on Facebook, how she wants to get people involved, and how she plans to make a difference.  She wrote:

April 25th 2011 - There will be a day dedicated to people who are battling depression and suicide and to advocate a lifestyle of unconditional love. Draw a heart on your wrist, to symbolize that you are wearing your heart on your sleeve. Ask someone how they’re doing. Tell someone you love them. Nobody should have to feel so bad about themselves that they take their own life. Take this challenge save someones life.

I sit, many nights, and wonder how to 'make a difference'.  I think most of us want to make that difference, yet we don't know how.  We don't take the time.  Maybe it's too large an undertaking.  Maybe it seems overwhelming.  Maybe it's just not as good as what's on TV at the moment.  Maybe, just maybe....we don't care enough.  Face it, it's the truth.  We'd like to THINK we can make the world a better place....then we see people that ARE making it a better place.  As I said when I initally wrote, it is an unimagineable, unthinkable loss to lose a child to suicide.  We'd be plagued with the "What if..." questions, and the "Why didn't I take the time..." or "Why didn't I notice..." thoughts that would haunt us forever.  Here are two high school girls, not old enough to drive, that are making a difference.  I've seen others - faceless, nameless others - that have decided to change the world....and just go change it.  Amazing.  It all starts with one small idea.  Then, the idea takes root and the action soars.  If they save one life by making someone feel loved, has it not been a success?  I am amazed.  Stunningly amazed.  It reminds me of a quote from "The West Wing" several years ago, that sums it up brilliantly - "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Do you know why?"  "Because it's the only thing that ever has."

I have to admit, I'm impressed....and proud.....and actually, well, disappointed.  Disappointed in that two young girls seem to care more about an issue than I did.  They care enough to make people understand.  They care enough so that other parents might not know the hurt and anguish of a child lost to suicide.  I'm disappointed that I have not taken a more active role in causes like this.  I suppose I, like many of you, don't give it a second thought because our children are happy and healthy, both physically and mentally.  You sure?  I mean really, really sure??  If so, great - keep loving them.  If not, go speak to them.  Turn the TV off and talk to your kids.  We might not give it a second thought other than, "There but for the grace of God....".  I have not made the difference I want to see in the world...and that must stop.  This is my forum and I will use it to help in any  way possible.  I say it a lot...and will continue - Go hug your kids, tell them you love them, and keep talking to them...and draw the heart on your wrist tomorrow.  Can you think of a better idea?  It will be appreciated.....

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment